Ingredients for the “Pulled Chicken Style” Plant Based Gyros:
4 tbsp kecap manis
2 tsp apple cider vinegar Cracked pepper and salt
2 cans of young jackfruit
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp dry oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp of smokey paprika
4 cloves of finely diced garlic
1 medium red onion finely diced
Ingredients for the dairy free Tzatziki:
1 1/2 cups of finely diced cucumber
1 1/2 cups of COYO® Greek Style Coconut Yoghurt
1 tbspn of fresh chopped mint
1 tbspn of fresh chopped dill
1 clove of finely diced garlic
Cracked pepper and salt
1 tbspn fresh lemon juice
Ingredients To Serve
1 cucumber sliced
6 very small tomatoes sliced
4 large pita bread
Fresh lettuce leaves
Red onion or small fresh fennel sliced Fresh lemon wedges
Method for the “Pulled Chicken Style”
Plant Based Gyros:
1. Strain the jackfruit and place into a large bowl, then begin to roughly pull the jackfruit pieces all apart.
2. Place a skillet on medium heat and splash with a little olive oil. Fry the diced onion, then add garlic until lightly golden.
3. Add in the spices and continuously stir until aromatic, then add the tomato paste.
4. Add then the jackfruit, vinegar and kecap manis, continuously stirring to combine well and coat the jackfruit in the mixture. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Store overnight to increase flavour, then simply reheat in the oven on a baking paper lined tray at 180oC until warmed when ready to serve.
Method for the dairy free Tangy Tzatziki:
1. After dicing your cucumber, place it onto a paper towel and allow any excess water to be absorbed out of the cucumber before placing it into a bowl.
2. Add the coconut yoghurt, mint, dill, garlic and lemon juice to the bowl and stir well to combine all ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
1. Warm up your pita bread in the oven.
2. Place warmed pita on a large plate, layer with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion or fennel, “pulled jackfruit chicken”, a generous drizzling of the tzatziki, a squeeze of lemon juice, then wrap up the pita into a roll and tuck in!