For the Slaw:
½ cup quinoa, rinsed in a fine-mesh colander
1 cup water
½ cup raw pepitas or sunflower seeds
¼ cup cranberries
¼ cup almond slithers
¼ cup chia seeds
8 cups mixed shredded vegetables (green or red cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, beets and/or carrots
1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
½ cup chopped fresh coriander or parsley
For the Dressing:
½ cup COYO Greek Style Coconut Yoghurt
¼ cup MCT oil
¼ cup dijon mustard
3 – 4 tbsp honey, to taste
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar or more lemon juice
1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
½ tsp fine sea salt
10 twists of freshly ground black pepper
- To cook the quinoa: Combine the rinsed quinoa and the water in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then decrease the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook until the quinoa has absorbed all of the water, about 12 to 15 minutes, reducing heat as time goes on to maintain a gentle simmer. Remove from heat, cover, and let the quinoa rest for 5 minutes, to give it time to fluff up.
- Meanwhile, toast the pepitas and almonds in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until slightly golden, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- To make sure the onion flavour doesn’t overwhelm the salad, rinse the sliced onion under running water, then let it drain well.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the shredded vegetables, drained onion and herbs. Add the cooled quinoa and pepitas.
- Mix together the dressing ingredients until smooth. Drizzle the dressing on top and toss to mix.
- Let the slaw rest for 20 minutes before serving (this is key to great flavour), then season to taste with salt, and stir in more dressing if desired. This brain boosting slaw is best the day it’s made, but it keeps well in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 4 days.