It's said that the perfect dessert combination should balance out taste and texture, bitter and sweet, crunchy and smooth, sticky and gooey and when it comes to this 100% plant based pavlova cup, we promise it will do just that for one of the best pavlova's you will ever have! Every-time we make this, the glass is all but licked out. Yes the thought of making meringue can feel daunting, but it's a-lot easier than you realise and your guests will enjoy it even more knowing that it was lovingly crafted in their name, 100% vegan and made with the goodness of aquafaba from chickpeas! Yes, chickpeas! Who knew those tiny balls of goodness also make the perfect vegan egg replacer in baking. Try it once, you won't go passed it.
FOR THE EGG FREE MERINGUE
120mL aquafaba from unsalted or low sodium canned chickpeas chilled
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup coconut sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE FILLING
2 x fresh Mango
4 x Passionfruit
Juice of one Lime
A little coconut sugar depending on sweetness of the mangoes and your taste preference
1 x 500mL COYO Simply Vanilla Ice Cream
Fresh coconut shavings
1. Chill the aquafaba from a can of chickpeas. Store and chill the chickpeas in an airtight container to use in other recipes.
2. Heat the oven to 130°C (fan forced) Whisk aquafaba and apple cider vinegar with an electric whisk for 8 minutes or until the meringue holds soft peaks when the whisk is lifted. Add the sugar, a little at a time, whisking constantly for 15 minutes or until the sugar is completely dissolved. Whisk in the cornflour and vanilla.
3. Spoon the meringue mixture onto the lined baking sheet in soft peaks that form a small circle. Bake for 1½ hours. Turn the oven off (don’t open the door) and leave to cool for another 2-3 hours.
4. For the filling add one chopped mango, sugar and lime juice to a blender. Blend until a smooth puree forms, then stir in the passionfruit pulp. Set Aside. Chop the remaining mango and set aside.
5. Once the meringue has cooled completely break the meringue into chunks and add to bowl. Next add 250mL of COYO Simply Vanilla ice cream into the bowl and fold and smash lightly with a fork.
6. When ready to serve, set 4 glasses and fill the bottom with the meringue ice cream mixture. Spoon the mango filling straight onto the meringue. Layer with mango chunks, and repeat. Top with spoonfuls of the remaining COYO Simply Vanilla ice cream, fresh coconut, lime zest and more mango! Enjoy!